MSCA 09 Rocks!
- Following are the regularly-scheduled Area meeting I attended since our 8/8 Area Service Assembly: Area 09 Board meeting in-person in Riverside on 8/15; Districts #09 and #19 on 8/15; #08 on 8/18 (after day hike in Santa Barbara); #04 on 9/1; #12 on 9/2; #15 on 9/7; #05 on 9/10 (in person); and #1/3 on 9/10 (“Why have I stayed in General Service?”)
- Although I will be moose hunting the first half of October and deer hunting the last half of November, if I am available, I would love to be invited to support your District elections.
- After reaching out to all past delegates and posting announcements on our website, Jeryl T and Francine W were the two people who have expressed an interest in serving as candidates for Area 09’s nominee for the next Pacific Regional Trustee, who will begin a four-year term in April 2022, replacing Kathi F. Later today, we will be voting for our nominee.
- On 8/30, I attended the Remote Communities meeting, and commend Ariel R for chairing the fledgling committee. On 9/5, I attend the combined meeting of Accessibilities/Cooperation with the Elder Community/Technologies committees, where I share a link on an “Underserved Communities” workshop on 9/18, 10 am to 1 pm, at Meeting ID: 875 7812 4484, Passcode: area08ws: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6otu8j26yhpo4ea/WS_Underserved_AA_District_06-19%20%281%29.pdf?dl=0
Activities within the Pacific Region
- I received Kathi F’s General Service Board (GSB) quarterly report for July-August 2021, which I provided to Kris and Faith for distribution. Kathi reported to the Pacific Region delegates on August 25, 6 to 7:30 pm, which I could not attend. Kathi confirmed that it is appropriate for Jose A to attend her report-back in my absence. Shortly, I’d like to invite Jose to give a 10–15-minute summary of Kathi’s report. Preview: The General Service Board voted to transfer $250,000 back into the Reserve Fund.
- In a proactive move, on 8/15, Faith created a new subfolder under “General Service Office (GSO)” called “Pacific Regional Trustee’s Reports,” which includes Kathi’s GSB quarterly report.
- The La Viña celebration recordings I purchased in late July have now been posted on the website, under “General Service Office (GSO)” tab, under “Grapevine/La Viña.” The $30 fee for the recordings was the only cost to Area 09.
- On 8/19, I receive a save the date flyer for PRAASA from Amber N, Oregon, Area 58, which is the hosting Area for the event on March 4-6, 2022, in Portland, OR. See: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wphahqk8zyy1dsv/Final%20Save%20Date.pdf?dl=0. I expect to get a call for PRAASA volunteers from Area 58 soon.
- On 8/28, I participated in an Area 09 Grapevine Writer’s Workshop, where they provided a phenomenal Glide App for Grapevine resources at: https://a08gvlvwritersws2021.glideapp.io/
All Things Conference-Related
- Don’t forget that the deadline for submitting proposed Agenda Items is September 15, in three days, and must be accompanied by a standard form at this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/we6v8v1vxxvrpyh/Standardized-G.S.C.-Proposed-Agenda-Item-Submission-Form-English.pdf?dl=0
- On 9/1, I submit to Conference Chair, Steve S, a proposed Agenda Item from a Hispanic member of Grupo Que Somos Hoy asking that the Conference consider publishing future Service Manuals as a CD or in another pertinent audio format. On 9/3, I get a response that the proposal has been received.
- On 8/9, I received electronic version of the 2021 Final Conference Report, which I distributed to Kris and Faith immediately. If you have not already received copies, please let me know the best way to get them to you. Electronic versions are posted under “General Service Office (GSO)”, “Conference Materials,” and at the following link (English): https://www.dropbox.com/s/pzv4202f40owek2/71st%20GSC%20Final%20Report%20%28Anonymity%20Protected%29%20-%20%28English%29.pdf?dl=0 and Spanish: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z9uk2jb1p12pw9j/71st%20GSC%20Final%20Report%20%28Anonymity%20Protected%29%20-%20%28Spanish%29.pdf?dl=0
- 10-minute presentation on the Final Conference Report in English, available at https://www.dropbox.com/s/swvys8597u6p6ic/71st%20GSC%20Final%20Conference%20Report%20Presentation.pdf?dl=0.
- On 8/27, I receive a memo from Panel 72 Conference Committee Literature Chair, Kunane D, Area 17, Hawaii who indicates that the following members are working on the identified literature items: (1) 5th Edition English Big Book – Beau B.; (2) Plain Language Big Book & workbook – Caroline B.W.; (3) A.A. Pamphlet for the Black and African American – Vera R. w/target audience; and (4) 4th edition of the Spanish Big Book – Amalia C. Also, the General Service Office is gathering additional information regarding the pamphlet for the Native American.
- On 9/11 at the virtual Arizona State Convention, I learned from AA Grapevine Non-trustee Director, Cindy F, that the subcommittee for the 5th edition of the Big Book met for the 1st time on 9/10 to begin discussing the nature of stories to be submitted and main sections for these stories.
News from New York:
- Don’t forget to submit a theme for the 2025 International Convention: Send your ideas no later than October 15, 2021 to the International Conventions Assignment, P.O. Box 459, Grand Central Station, New York, NY 10163, or email email@example.com. On 9/2, I submitted “A.A. Through Thick and Thin.”
- On 9/3, I get a notice from Grapevine that a new book, “Prayer and Meditation,” is available, and immediately send the announcement to Faith to be posted, and buy three copies!
More Will Be Revealed!
- On 8/15, I submitted an invoice for $86.40 for mileage and La Viña recordings.
- When I told you that Area 03 authored the version of the proposed Preamble that stated, “We in Alcoholics Anonymous share our experience, strength, and hope…” I learned on 9/11 that, in fact, Chris C, new Executive Director/Publisher of Grapevine drafted it. Although it passed as a Floor Action (including my vote of yes), we know that “men and women” was changed to “people,” which first appeared in the July versions of Grapevine and La Viña.
- At no cost to the Area, I revised the Area 09 logo to remove dates and Panel 70 reference.
Delegate’s Bulletin Board
- This delegate’s sharing session will be posted under this tab on msca09aa.org.
Honored to be of Service!
Ed L., MSCA 09 Panel 70 delegate
Cell: (760) 964-0012