MSCA 09 Rocks!
- Thanks so much for the opportunity to provide my report-back to the Area on 5/16, when we had 128 participants at one point, including numerous visitors from Virginia to Hawaii to British Columbia. The entire two-hour presentation is recorded and on the website. I’ve continued with report-backs including #06 on 5/4, #04 on 5/5, #12 on 5/6, #07 on 5/10, #1/3 on 5/13, #08 on 5/19, #10 on 6/2, #17 on 6/8, #05 on 6/10, and #19 on 6/13, the latter two being hybrid meetings. I’ve attended all six Hispanic districts in person, including #20 on 5/17, #24 on 5/18, #25 on 5/24, #22 on 5/25, #21 on 5/26, and #23 on 5/28.
- I also reported to Cesar’s teleconference Hispanic group on 5/20, Grupo Sur on 6/3, Grupo Tercera on 6/9, and to the Bellflower Big Book group on 5/31. Thanks to Jose for attending all Hispanic meetings in person to translate and to Mitchell who has been to many of my report-backs.
- Given the above schedule, beginning nine days after the Conference on 5/4 through yesterday in Apple Valley, I’ve given my report to 21 Districts and groups (tying last year’s presentation number), traveling 1,300 miles.
- I believe that I’m reporting to District 09 on 6/20 and District 18 on 7/13 as the last two report-backs, so please let me know asap if you want me to report to either your District or Group.
- On 5/17, it was my pleasure to provide A.A.W.S. (Ames S) with an edited version of the Big Book that was produced and provided by Linda C, Area 09’s Panel 60 delegate. Ames responds on 5/18 that he remembers Linda and Jim well, and will use her manuscript when the time is right.
- On 5/21, I introduced Archivist, Gerry W to Ames S of the Publishing Department concerning “A.A.W.S policy on conversion of written conference-approved Literature and Service Material into video format,” which was one of the Advisory Actions coming out of the Conference Literature Committee and for which Gerry has documented experience.
- On 6/9 while in Santa Ana with Grupo Tercera, Alfonso Q provided me with a proposed Agenda Item to provide future Service Manuals in Spanish, English, and French audio formats. I am working with Jesus and Jose to translate the proposal into English and will be talking to pertinent Conference members about this possibility (i.e., has such a request ever been made?)
- That being said, Geene D of western Washington has said we can expect the three-year, 2021-2023 version of the Service Manual in September.
- Don’t forget, with the passage of a Policy & Admissions Advisory Action on equitable distribution of the Conference workload, all proposed Agenda Items must be submitted by September 15, and the form has been posted on the website under GSO Announcements on 5/27.
- On 5/23, the six current Board members met in person for the first time since March 2020 in Riverside.
- On 5/24, I join members of the new Technology Steering Committee as they continue planning for the website and other electronic media.
- Our standing committees have been very active revising their guidelines, including Cooperation with the Elder Community (CEC) Committee, Literature Committee, Guidelines and Policy (GAP) Committee, and the recently created Technologies Committee. And with their upcoming budget request, I expect the new Remote Communities Committee to begin its important work.
- While in Santa Ana with District 05 on 6/10, Mitchell shared a copy of the “Women Pioneers of Alcoholics Anonymous” in Spanish, which I hope to carry with me to the La Viña celebration in Phoenix, AZ on 7/23-25.
- I recently spoke to Sarah S who said that her District is actively developing a pamphlet welcoming the LGBTQ community to A.A.
Activities within the Pacific Region
- On 5/16, I was able to join Jennifer B of Area 06 (Northern Coastal California), Kunane D of Area 17 (Hawaii), Area 05 (Los Angeles) with Lauren A on 5/17 (for an hour after our own),and Area 58 (Oregon) with Amber N on 5/22. All of them (including me) are referring to this as the “POO Conference,” although I’ve been calling it the “POI-POO Conference,” Hawaiian style.
News from New York:
- On 5/27, I receive a memo that Bob Wilcox has been identified as the new General Manager of the General Service Office, having most recently served as United States Trustee At Large and Chief Financial Officer of the General Service Office.
- On 5/28, receive notice that the revised Preamble, replacing “men and women” with “people” will appear in the July Grapevine and July/August La Viña editions.
More Will Be Revealed!
- After years of hearing about it, in early May I send a handwritten letter to an inmate in Texas using the Corrections Correspondence Services (CSC) program.
- For the second time, I attend the Stepping Stones virtual picnic tour (70th year) on 6/5.
- It was revealed to me at a District 12 meeting that on May 30 I achieved the new status of “Sweet 16,” so thanks for 16 years of sobriety and 14 years of General Service!
Delegate’s Bulletin Board
- Since I was not able to provide my Delegate’s Sharing Sessions in either April (Pre-Conference Workshop) or May (Conference report-back), my notes for these two months were posted on the Delegate’s Bulletin Board on May 16.
- On 5/30, after one of our General Service Representatives (GSRs) asked about availability of workbooks and kits from A.A. World Services, General Service Office staff member, Craig W provided us with 18 links in English and Spanish to kits and workbooks (e.g., GSR and DCM kits; Public Information, Corrections, Cooperation with the Professional Community committee workbooks; and A Guide to A.A. Grapevine) that were immediately posted on the msca09aa.org website.
- On 4/17, my hopefully thought-provoking essay that I gave at the pre-Conference Remote Communities, entitled “Can the Conference be Perceived as a Remote Community?” was posted.
- On 5/15, it was a pleasure to join more than 300 A.A. members at the North-South Connection Forum with participation by all of South America, United States, and Canada.
- In 2020, I was reimbursed $513 of my allotted $5,800 budget. On 5/23, I submitted my first invoice for 2021 in the amount of $393.40, and I have an outstanding invoice of $417, which are due to District report-back presentations.
Honored to be of Service!
Ed L., MSCA 09 Panel 70 delegate
Cell: (760) 964-0012