

**DRAFT \*\*\* DRAFT \*\*\* DRAFT \*\*\* APPROVED MINUTES**

***Mid-Southern California Area 9 Assembly Committee Minutes***

**KidWorks 1902 Chestnut Ave – Santa Ana, CA Hosted by District #20**

**May 18, 2014**

**Assembly Minutes**

Meeting was called to order by Chairwoman Sharon at 10:15am with the Serenity Prayer.

**Readings:** Declaration of Unity read by Beka in English/Jose in Spanish. The Statement of Purpose and Membership read by Damian in English/Jeff in Spanish. GSR Preamble read by Gary in English/Carlos in Spanish.

**Introductions:** Past Trustees, Past Delegates, New DCMCs/Alt. DCMCs, New DCMs/Alt. DCMs, New GSRs and Alt. GSRs, Guests, Past and Current Area Officers.

**Approval of minutes** January Assembly minutes passed as submitted – Rich made motion and seconded by Dawn.

**Officers/Directors Reports (following reports are written reports):**

**Delegate Cesar:** My name is Cesar and I am an Alcoholic. It is an honor to serve as Mid-Southern California Area 09 Panel 64 Delegate. My Spiritual adventure started on April 23, 2014 when I was going to LAX. It was a late flight and I thought it might be a good idea to attend my home group meeting first – I had a cup of coffee and relaxed, then I headed off to LAX.

My flight took 6 hours, and arrived in New York City at 7:45am on Thursday. A taxi cab took me to the hotel. Since my check in wasn't until 3pm, I decided to go back to New Your City. I visited Grand Central Station, The Statue of Liberty, The China Town, The Empire State Building, Central Park, and I went for a ride in the subway. On Friday we went back in to the city to visit GSO - my heart was pounding! When I walked out of the elevator on the 11th floor and saw our Circle and Triangle Logo – it was definitely a Spiritual Moment. Seeing all the staff people working in our GSO office was amazing for me. A tour was given to us of all the offices. I went to the 12th floor. And saw the Grapevine staff in action too. The La Vina office is really small, and I felt very emotional. I know that for us, La Vina means something great and wonderful. Irene, the La Vina Editor, took me on a tour. She took me to Brooklyn, including a visit to 182 Clinton St., where Bill W. and Lois lived. After that we went to a Spanish Speaking group for an AA meeting and then back to the hotel in Rye Brooke.

On Saturday April 26<sup>th</sup> at 2pm they gave us information on hospitality for the Conference members who arrived early, and after that they told us how we are going to state our names, Area, and Conference Committee when we address ourselves during the Conference. In my case, my name is Cesar F., Panel 64 Delegate, Mid-Southern California Area 09, Public Information Committee. It felt very strange to not say 'alcoholic' each time!

On Sunday April 27 I went to the registration table where I got my name tag and Conference Manual kit with all the background material and Agendas for the Conference week. At 10:00am our Chairman of the Board Terry Bedient opened the Conference. Phyllis conducted the roll call. When my name was called and I said '**Present**', I felt a lot of love and privilege being there at that moment. The Conference week was so full! I have lots of pictures and paperwork and all of the details on what was voted on and what was discussed

during that very long, full, amazing week, working with the other Delegates, the Trustees and the GSO staff members for the good of Alcoholics Anonymous!

Finally on Friday 5:30 pm the Panel 63 Delegates gave their farewells. Along with so many others, those moments were very emotional for me. The Conference officially closed at 7:45 pm on Friday with the Serenity Prayer in four languages: English, Spanish, French, and Navajo.

Saturday May 3, three Trustees gave their farewells (including our Regional Trustee, Rod B) and that was tremendous for me, experiencing a lot love and dedication. At 11am we went for a tour to Stepping Stones, where Bill W. and Lois lived, walking in the gardens, the house, and going to Wits End. That was something I will never forget for the rest of my life. Wits End is where Bill wrote the Traditions, Concepts and most of the Grapevine articles. On Sunday May 4, 2:00pm, I arrived back home at LAX. I got this feeling; I did it! I got sense of accomplishment.

I am very grateful, and I would like to extend my gratitude to my Area 09 members for your support and trust on representing on their behalf. Thanks to my service sponsor, for being available in the moments that I need to most. This ride to the fourth dimension was intense. I had the time of my life. I don't have words to describe how grateful I am. I want to end by saying I love General Service, I love Area 09 and I love Alcoholics Anonymous. May God bless you All, Service is a Legacy of Love - Cesar F. Panel 64 Delegate, Mid-Southern California Area 09, Conference Committee Public Information.

**Alternate Delegate Joe:** I do not have too much to report on this month. I spoke at District 20's 19th anniversary meeting on Saturday May 3rd. It was a wonderful event with great food and terrific people. I am honored and grateful to have been a part of it. The Pre-Conference Workshop was a success last month. I want to take a moment to thank District 18 for hosting. Cesar had a lot of very good information and feedback to take with him to New York. I went to dinner with Cesar a few days prior to his departure. What a rewarding experience! Cesar kept in contact with us, the Board, during his adventure, but his time was very limited. We could feel the excitement in his texts. He called me a couple of times too. Wow, the gratitude and humility in his voice was obvious. We had our Board meeting on Saturday May 10th. We had the opportunity to hear his story about his trip. I am so very grateful to have been a part of that meeting. It sounds like he really had an amazing trip as I'm sure you are all very anxious to hear. So, with that, I will end. Thank you.

**Registrar Jesus:** No report.

**Treasurer Rozanne:**

May MSCA09 Treasurer's Report

*BOFA Statement Account summary:*

Beginning balance on April 1, 2014	\$2,026.18
Deposits and other credits	\$11,831.21
Withdrawals and other debits	-\$1,043.98
Checks	-\$4,739.19
Service fees	-\$24.00
Ending balance on April 30, 2014	\$8,050.22
<i>BOFA Savings Account:</i>	<i>\$5002.09</i>

My name is Rozanne and I am an alcoholic. I am privileged and honored to serve as your Area 09 Treasurer.

In April:

I participated in the 75 seconds of silence and read "How it Works" on April 10<sup>th</sup> in celebration of the Big Book's 75<sup>th</sup> Birthday

I spoke at a meeting in North San Diego on April 12th

I attended the Pre-Conference Workshop in Laguna Woods on April 13<sup>th</sup>

I continue to learn more about QBs every time I work in it. I am happy to report that I now have a report of every group with every group number, contact name and address. This will help me identify some of the groups who are not registered with GSO. And, if your groups are not registered with GSO, I highly suggest you do so. Please see our Area Registrar if you have any questions.

Speaking of groups and their numbers, I really need your help. If you have made a contribution to the Area, you probably received a receipt; it would help me greatly if you could cut off the bottom portion and return it with your checks. That part has your group # on it. If you want to put your group number on the check, that is fine. Also, if you want a receipt emailed, don't forget to include your email address.

I also received some responses from you regarding mistakes in group names or numbers, or contributions that were credited to the wrong group. I am working on updating the information, if any information is wrong on your receipts, please let me know.

I brought copies of the Income/Expenses from Jan. to April, if you have not picked up a copy, please do so. If you have questions, please ask me.

I have received quite a few bank fee notices. The Area greatly appreciates your contributions, if you could please make sure the funds are in your bank that would save us a lot of unnecessary fees. In the past month we had 4 bounced checks and we are charged multiple fees when that happens.

Remember the new process for expenses and contributions, place your expense forms and contributions in the appropriate black buckets and I will do my best to get your receipts and checks completed before the end of the day. Please write legibly and if you do not know your group number, please ask me and I will look it up.

But, as always, please put your group number on all contributions.

Soon, I am hoping to start doing district visits to talk about the treasurer position, answer questions your groups may have about contributions and how we allocate our money. I hope to start in the next few months.

Thank you so much for letting me serve you.

**Secretary Barbara:** I am so grateful to have the opportunity to be of service to the best Area in AA – thank you for the trust you have placed in me. Since I last saw you, much has been accomplished in the Secretary world – supplies ordered, meetings attended, Board stuff, the usual. Super proud of our Delegado Cesar and was so excited to hear about New York! Was blessed to get to preview all the wonderful stuff he will share with you today! Are you getting my emails? No? Well you darn well ought to be, so please, please, please give me that info and I will add you to the Area Eblast. I Blasted quite a bit this past month; minutes, agendas, all sorts of fun stuff. Hard copies were provided for those who do not have email. If you can bring your own, that helps free up those copies for those who really need them. All Chairs and District DCMC's – please feel free to submit your reports to me via email; I sent out the templates or, really, as long as I get the information somehow, send it or drop it here at the lunch break. Questions? Better yet, answers? Please have your people call my people. Thank you for letting me be of service!

**Area Chair Sharon:** Well I'm happy to be back at an Area Meeting. I feel like I've had a vacation but truthfully our Area has been very active generating proposals, getting ready for committee work such as attending conventions, etc. Since our last Area meeting I went to the pre-conference workshop and chaired our board meeting. I have provided insurance information for the June ASC as well. The board has reviewed all of the ad hoc committee requests presented and I'm happy to say that an ad hoc committee will start after the Delegate report backs in August or September and it will be chaired by Joe C. our Alternate Delegate. The purpose of this Ad Hoc committee is to take a look at the items that were brought up at the Special Meeting. Thank you to those Area members that took the time to submit an Ad Hoc committee requests. Additionally, Rozanne has agreed to chair an Ad Hoc committee to entertain the idea of a Policy Chair for our Area. Many neighboring Area's have one such as 8 and 5. I'm excited to find the outcome of these committees. Our June agenda is shaping to be a jam packed one and I'm looking forward to it. If at any time you wish to address the board or generate a proposal please feel free to let me know. Thank you for letting me be of service.

## **Old Business:**

None

## **New Business:**

- Confirmation of Registration – guidelines reviewed & Casey confirmed without opposition.

## **Standing Committee Reports: (*Submitted In Writing*)**

**Archives Tony:** Held on May 17th at the Archives Repository in Riverside with 10 members present. The Spanish version of the proposed revised Archives Guidelines have been compiled and distributed to the Spanish speaking members. Work is continuing on the Archives annual Open House, scheduled for Sat, May 31st. The Archives Workbook project has been once again started and the next meeting for that will be on Sat, June 28th at 10am. The large Group History Tree is ready for the Open House; this is an ongoing project. The next Archives committee meeting will be June 17th at the Archives Repository. Upcoming events include the MSCA Archives Open House on the 31st and Movie Night, which is held the 3rd Sat of every month. The next movie is "28 Days" on June 21st at 7:30pm.

**CEC Beka:** 6 members present. I brought the folder with the CEC workbook with the pamphlets needed to read to start CEC Committee in each District (such as 'Speaking at Non-AA Meetings', etc.). Due to pending surgery, I may not be present next month but have given out my home phone number for any questions or cheerleading needs!

**Communications Kris:** With only 2 committee members present, we discussed guidelines for articles submitted to the Area Newsletter and discussed Spanish translation issues for the Newsletter as well.

**CPC:** Our Committee meeting had 7 members present – 4 Spanish speaking and 3 English speaking. Rosenda C acted as our translator. Our Committee Chairperson Maryka D was unable to attend. Matt T from District #12 filled in. We discussed revisions to the Area 09 Guidelines for the CPC Committee, and are working to update them in an effort to provide more information to Committee members and also working to get Guidelines translated into Spanish. Our Committee has 2 events coming up. We have been asked to staff an information table at the National Association of Drug Court Professionals Convention, which will be held May 28<sup>th</sup> – 30<sup>th</sup> at the Anaheim Convention Center. We are also staffing an information table at the National Association of Professional Chaplains, which is being held June 18<sup>th</sup>-22<sup>nd</sup>, also in Anaheim. For that one I do not have the venue address (a hotel in Anaheim) but we believe Maryka has that information, and we will be staffing that booth on June 20<sup>th</sup> & 21<sup>st</sup>.

**CPC Spanish Juan J:** See above (Spanish/English combo report).

**Convention Liaison Marilyn:** From 4/18-20 I attended the OCAAC Convention in Costa Mesa with Karen H. From 4/25-27 I attended the H & I Conference in La Mirada with Dennis P. From 5/09-10 I attended the Sober In The Sun Convention with both Barbaradee and Karen H. We had a few serious listeners along with a number of maybes and any number of looky-loos who may someday get the message of service. We had an unfortunate incident at the OCAAC Convention - our banner and poster (also the Convention Podium banner) were stolen. I had made a personal donation of them last year but couldn't do it a second time so I had to put in for the replacement cost out of the Committee budget. We had 6 people in attendance at today's meeting and we reviewed expense reports and the conventions recently attended. We also reviewed the costs of upcoming events, explained the general process for explaining General Service at Conventions and reviewed the Convention guidelines. Upcoming events include the South Bay Round-up in May, the Desert Pow Wow in June and Madd Dog Days in August.

**Convention Liaison Spanish Hugo:** No Report

**Corrections Steve:** Looking to increase Committee membership. Asked Board to please make an announcement and ask people interested in service to please see Steve V (Corrections Chair for Area 09) to get involved.

**DCM School Jim:** No Report

**DCM School Spanish Jose A:** The meeting was open at 10:00 am with the Serenity Prayer. 6 Districts were present, 12 people attend, DCM's reported the progress of their Districts. In some aspects have improved, suggesting that visits every 3 months to help improve the service was made. District 20 has 20 groups, the D 21 has 35 Groups, D 22 has 21 groups, D 23 has 25 Groups, D 24 has 21groups and D 25 has 17 groups. The meeting was closed at 11:05 am with the Statement of Responsibility.

**Electronic Media Saturn:** No Report

**Finance-Rich W:** Our May Assembly meeting on the 18th had 5 people in attendance and opened with the Serenity Prayer. Discussed Treasurer's Reports; Rozanne states that QuickBooks is working well. She transfers info to an Excel spreadsheet to produce reports. We filed an extension to file the Area tax return and we have 2 tax preparers to choose from to file them. We discussed budget override requests and will create a form for such requests from the Assembly. We are going to do inventory of the Area assets (computers, PA, translation equipment, etc). Our Area Finance Chair, Rich W, would love to come to YOUR District meeting to give a presentation or to answer questions!

**Grapevine Ed:** Our meeting held on May 18th in Santa Ana had 6 committee members present. We've been contacted to attend the So. California Convention in San Diego for a Grapevine roundtable Sept 26-28th. Also have scheduled a Grapevine writers workshop "Straw Dog Grapevine Writers Workshop" in the Huntington Beach area on July 19th. There is also a Grapevine Writers Workshop scheduled for Sept. 6th at the Archives in Riverside from 11am-2pm (note: date changed from 13th to 6th of Sept due to conflict). Ed L had articles in the GV in Feb, March and June, which he shared (read) at 3 recent speaking engagements.

**GSR School English Gary:** 9 new GSR's attended this month. I went over the AAWS Handbook, discussed what a GSR is, reviewed the Areas of the United States and Canada and discussed the Districts in our own Area.

**GSR School Spanish Amador:** We attended this GSR's study meeting with 18 people total, and had 3 new GSR's from District 20. We studied the Concept V of the Service Manual, which is the "Right of Appeal" and fellows shared their experience about what they were understanding and it was very productive. We enjoyed sharing this meeting. Thanks to the Alcoholics of the Area and Districts for the opportunity to serve.

**La Viña Victor:** I went to the Conference that was held in Barstow from 18 to 20 of April – on the 20<sup>th</sup> I had a La Viña display at the Spanish Interdistrict meeting. On April 27 in Cathedral City and in May I will be in San Bernardino at the Hispanic State Convention supporting the RLV from District 25. Also I'm helping District 23 doing La Viña subscriptions that the DCM is motivating because they don't have RLV, until today D 23 has 21 subscriptions. He is also supporting the eighteenth anniversary of La Viña that will take place in Las Vegas NV by buying registrations. Today we didn't have a meeting in the Assembly because I wasn't on time. Thank you for allowing me to serve.

**Literature English Bianca:** No Report

**Literature Spanish Mauricio:** No Report

**Public Information Sandi:** Treasurer Rozanne gave check to me (Sandi) to mail to Vanessa in Victorville to buy 12 Big Books from GSO for libraries in San Bernardino County - 6 English and 6 Spanish. Vanessa's mom Beka took 2 boxes of pamphlets back to give to Vanessa for a fair on Black History that she has a booth at. I am saying this like this because some of this took a lot of time to figure out and co-ordinate how to get those books to that Library system and that literature to still suffering alcoholics. I have not met Vanessa, but I am sure those books will get to those libraries!

**Public Information Spanish Martin:** No Report

**Registration:** Casey confirmed as new Committee Chair.

**Special Needs Jack:** Continuing to inform District level Special Needs Chairs on the variety of the types of Special Needs and how best to help them. At your District meetings, please have your Special Needs chair contact me, give me their information or better yet, have them come to the next Area meeting. The new Co-Chair is Gene H from District #7. We are looking to establish a more solid committee with more committee members (if you want a commitment at the Area level – this is perfect for you!). We are hoping to do a Special Needs workshop soon.

**Treatment Facilities Dawn:** The Treatment Committee convened Sunday, May 18, 2014 at 9:00 a.m. The meeting was called to order by Dawn Pfeifer, Chair. Five members were present representing three districts. The scope of this meeting was Bridging the Gap (BTG).

One request for temporary contact was received and forwarded to District 11.

The committee discussed opportunities to reach the fellowship in efforts to gain interest and participation in Bridging the Gap. The following items were discussed and determined:

- Resend the email sent to DCMCs in January
- Requested and received space at the registration table at the June ASC for BTG sign-up
- Change email address from personal to a perpetual address (i.e. [Treatment@msca09.org](mailto:Treatment@msca09.org))
- Request MSCA09 website be updated to reflect correct contact and email on "contacts" page
- Research placing label with Area contact information on BTG pamphlet
- Create BTG Display Board
- Dawn traveling to Akron for Founder's Day will look for items to consider for display board

The Committee also discussed and agreed upon its two-year plan with the first year focusing BTG among the Area body and the second year partnering with CPC to reach outside facilities. Meeting adjourned with the responsibility pledge.

### **Coordinate Committee Reports:**

**AOCYPAA** - No Report

**Inland Empire H&I** - No Report

**Harbor Area Central Office** – Submitted by Jamie C. Contributions are up this month. Committee positions are available – if you are looking to be of Service, meetings are held on the 2<sup>nd</sup> Weds of each month at Resurrection Lutheran Church (Carson & Cherry) in Long Beach. Sue is the new HACO office manager. An 'after hours' phone workshop is being planned for the Fall and the Rule 62 Summer Picnic is Saturday July 12<sup>th</sup> from 9am – 4pm, with games, food, fellowship, live music and more – hope you can join the fun!

### **District Reports (submitted in writing):**

**District 1:** No Report

**District 2 Tanya D:** District meeting held monthly on the First Monday. We had 2 new GSR's at the meeting. We are working on a District event to invite new GSR's. Progress has been slow on getting info out to the meetings but we will be making a push this summer – we hope to have 25 attendees by the end of the year (14 this month). New packets for DCM's are being requested from GSO. Hoping to plan a BBQ/movie night soon!

**District 3 Alex:** No Report

**District 4 Hiro:** Our meeting is held on the First Weds of each month at Resurrection Lutheran Church (corner of Carson & Cherry) in Long Beach at 7pm (GSR School at 6:30pm – led by Barbara D) and this month we had approximately 35 in attendance. DCMC Hiro provided his PRAASA presentation "How Can The District Best Serve It's Groups?". Filled all open DCM positions, as well as Finance Chair position. District Registrar Court F expressed a modicum of despair at figuring out how to tackle our sorely neglected District records, given that it has been literally years since we have had an active Registrar. She will be connecting with Area Registrar Jesus, as well as Harbor Area Central Office. Each of our District Committee now each has at least 3 members. Looking forward to our Delegate Report-back from the Conference both at the Area level on May 18<sup>th</sup> and at our next District meeting, to be held on June 4<sup>th</sup>.

**District 5 Ryan:** No Report

**District 6 Ashly:** Had the monthly meeting on Tuesday May 6<sup>th</sup> with approximately 45 in attendance. We had sharing on people's experience, strength and hope with respect to last months Pre-Conference Workshop.

We also wrapped up our PRAASA reportbacks. The main highlight, though, was the visit by the District #4 DCMC Hiro, who gave us his PRAASA report/presentation! Our committees have been extremely active in carrying the message!! We are planning a finance workshop at our District, we are hosting our Delegate's Reportback in July, and several of our committees will be hosting workshops on CPC/PI, Grapevine and Literature.

**District 7 Lisa:** No Report

**District 9 John:** Our District meeting is held on the 3rd Sunday of the month at Fellowship Hall - we had 4 in attendance this month. District voted not to do billboards - vendor wouldn't give contract. Delegate Cesar will be at our June meeting for his Conference report-back presentation. Working on District by-laws and to contact meetings not represented by GSRs. We are planning both a service picnic and a literature workshop.

**District 11 Don:** Monthly business meetings are held on the 3rd Sunday of the month at 11:30am at the Arid Club - this month there were 10 in attendance. District #11 sponsored the 75th Anniversary of the Big Book Publication event on April 10th. No events pending other than monthly meetings.

**District 12 Judy:** Our District business meeting is held on the First Thurs of the month at 7:30pm in Laguna Hills and this month we had 70 people there. We've added a quarterly DCM School, so now we offer that in addition to our GSR Orientation, a Traditions workshop, and a Concepts workshop. Our new Registrar Sharon is working closely with our SubDistrict DCM's to more completely keep track of group visitations. District #12 had its own Pre-Conference workshop in April. We are hosting a Sponsorship workshop on Sept 20th; we will make more information available as we have it.

**District 14:** No Report

**District 15 Leslie:** Held on Thurs May 2nd at 7pm at Christ Lutheran Church, our meeting had 11 in attendance. We voted in Harry as Alternate Literature Chair. Approved creating a Grapevine display for our District and will be collectively working on that in the next couple of months. Judy N was voted in as our Convention Liaison and we voted to send out Alternate DCMC, Cate, to the Pacific Regional Forum in Boise, ID in July to obtain information to share with our District. On July 2nd, in conjunction with District #10, we will be co-hosting the Delegate report-back. 7:30pm potluck followed by the report at 8pm at 109 E. Wilshire Blvd in Fullerton, CA.

**District 17 Mary W:** No Report

**District 18:** No Report

**District 19 Gary W:** Held on the 3<sup>rd</sup> Sunday for each month at the Victor Valley Alano Club, this month we had 12 members in attendance. We will be having our Service Event on June 14<sup>th</sup>, from 11am to 2pm. This year we will be doing a mini-PRAASA. The event will take place at the Church of the Valley in Apple Valley.

**District 20:** No Report

**District 21:** No Report

**District 22:** Our district continues to visit a group per week every Monday, and we still meet every Tuesday with a business meeting and a study meeting. We are studying the Concepts and Traditions and so on and attend the group meetings when invited. In our District on May 4th took place a La Viña workshop which was a success and so we continue to support the 18th anniversary of La Viña. On May 27, our Delegate Cesar will visit us to give his report back from the Conference. Thanks for your time and have a good day and a safe return to your homes. Yours in Service, District #22 Coachella Valley.

**District 23 Rafael:** No Report

**District 24 Pedro G:** We have an increase in participation from 12 groups to 18 GSR's from a total of 21 groups. District highlights: on June 15, we will celebrate our District Anniversary and the place of the event will be the same venue where we hold our meetings, the treasurer is organizing a workshop, and the main topic will be the Seventh Tradition – we are inviting Group Treasurers. We meet every Tuesday from 8-9pm, we visit groups on Thursdays. NOTE: our PI and CPC chairs are vacant. Today attendance was six fellows.

**District 25 Refugio:** We are working on the fourth Monday of the month; we visit two groups per week on Wednesday and Friday, and we also comply with the invitations of the groups in their programmed meetings. We have our anniversary committee and all committees are working. We have 17 groups and 12 active GSR's. Upcoming Events: Convention in the Area of San Bernardino and the Delegate visit on May 26.

**District 30:** No Report

**Recap of Actions:**

- Confirmation of Casey as the new Registration Chair.

**Announcements:**

- See Delegate schedule for upcoming District Conference report-backs.
- June ASC to be held in Buena Park.

**Birthdays:**

Judy 20, Kitty 24, Gary 8, Jason 3, Don 15, Tony 6,  
Ed 9, Victor 10, Don 12, Renee 31, Casey 3  
For a miracle of 195 years of sobriety!

Minutes respectfully submitted by Barbara D – MSCA Panel 64 Secretary